Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Emotional Triggers

Today's post is in response to the Made to Crave Bible study blog hop about emotional emptiness. Hmmm...sounds like a really chipper topic, doesn't it?  The truth is, everyone experiences emotional emptiness in some way.  Sure, some of us are better at hiding it...but it's there.

Taking a real look at my eating habits reveals that I am a "bored" grazer.  I'm a child of the 80's.  We are probably the first generation to sit in front of the TV for an extended period of time and basically "check out" of reality.  Don't get me wrong.  I was plenty active as a child and wasn't overweight then.  But I built those habits that I'm having to learn to recognize now.  I sit in front of the TV with a bag of whatever is easy and handy (and I promise, it isn't a bag of carrot sticks!) and before I know it, *POOF* the bag is empty.  I didn't even realize I was eating!  I'll even let you in on an embarrassing secret:  more than once my husband has asked, "Hey!  What happened to that bag of (insert basically any unhealthy food here)?"  To which my reply would be, "It must have been your son," because I honestly didn't realize I emptied out the darn bag myself!

There are so many emotional triggers and I've fallen to them all.
Night out with the girls?  Chips, salsa, and fruity drinks, please!
Night out with the husband---ALONE?  WooHoo!  Let's go eat ANYTHING fried!
Kid did something great at school?  Ice cream...check!
Tragedy has struck your family, your community?  Drown those feelings with comfort food or send piles of food to the family in need.

It doesn't matter what it is, I've come to the realization that I am simply unable to allow myself to "check out" of this PROCESS of eating.  It seems simple enough, but for me, I just have to make sure that I am eating for nutrition, not because of a host of emotional triggers or emptiness.  Our verse this week (Lamentations 3:22-24) reminds me that the Lord is my portion, not food.

And here's another reminder:




7 comments:

Mary Swan-Bell said...

That is such a great point--we can't "check out of this process of eating." If I could untangle all of the emotions wrapped around eating and just eat...Praying for and high-fiving you, girl!

Finding Focus said...

I HATE when the bag of whatever disappears! I've been there. I find that I modify behavior (like stop watching TV) but forget to rely on God.

Unknown said...

Angie - I loved that you said it's about eating for nutrition. This is where I'm at not to eat just to eat but to eat healthy. Thanks for posting and doing this study with us. Blessings to you sister - Tina

Unknown said...

Thanks Angie! We are all dealing with our own triggers, but it is refreshing to see so many post candidly about their issues and ask for God's support. Have a great week! ~ Miriam of http://cravingsconfidential.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such an awesome and open sharing of your heart Angie! I have reached the bottom of that bag many times!!! Even put my hand in and been surprised that nothing came out! I have decided I just can't pick it up!
I pray that The Lord will be your portion in all of those situations and more :)
Sarah Travis (OBS Small Group Leader)

Sandi Brewer said...

So good! I could really relate to the story about reaching the bottom of the bag! I've even left just a little bit in the bottom, just so that I could say I didn't eat the WHOLE bag (just almost!) Thanks for such a clear look at "bored eating", too. I really struggle with that and have to make myself think about WHY I am eating.
Sandi Brewer, OBS Small Group Leader

Janet said...

Thank you so much for your comments! I'm a child of the 60's, and although we played outside all the time, I was always the fat kid.... It's time for that to change! You can change now, be a good example to your kids, and be healthy as you enjoy them growing up! Bless you, sister! I pray you will find this ACTION, with God's help, an act of obedience that you can be happy about!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs